Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Aquaponics

I am finally starting my aquaponics system. I have had a very small test system going for several months in a couple of 18 gallon totes hooked up to my goldfish pond with a flood and drain on a timer. I have pretty good success having grown some really nice basil, a bit of tomato, green beans and radishes. It was good enough for my lovely wife to give me the go ahead for a full blown system.

I have an old barn and I turned part of it into a green house replacing some of the tin with clear poly panels, It already had the south wall full of windows so I think there will be plenty of light. I have purchased a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for the fish tank for $220.00 which will sit on the floor in the corner. My sister-in-law scored 8-55 gallon white barrels for free that she gave me. We sawed these in halve horizontally with a skill saw. I plan to bolt these together and sit them on the floor in a row on each side of the greenhouse. I can get in about 12 or 13 half barrels.

Outside the greenhouse I am burying an old bathtub I got for free from a friend. This will be the sump tank and the lowest point in the system.

The greenhouse has a pretty step slope poured into the slab ( the previous owners used it for a kennel, it even has a drain. :) So the ST will have a pump in it, which will be on a timer and fill up the FT. The water will drain by gravity into the grow beds then drain by gravity back into the ST.

I have been working on finishing up the green house and plumbing up the barrels and burying the bath tub.

I drilled a 3/4" hole out of the bung on the barrels as it already has threads for a 3/4 adapter. I glued a 1" coupler on the inside using gutter cement. I will use 1" inner pipe with a 2" outer pipe for the stand pipe and overflow. The drains for the growbeds will step down from 1" to 3/4" PVC.

The supply from the FT will be 1/2" PVC.

Once I get everything plumbed I will go fetch some pea gravel for the grow medium. I will mix in some of the gravel from my existing grow beds which should help it cycle quicker, no?

I may just start with a bunch of gold fish or make a trip to a local fish farm for some channel cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment