Thursday, August 13, 2009

Easter Morning

Click on the painting for a larger image.

I had a request to use an image of my painting "Easter Morning" in a print publication so I had a hi-res scan made of it. Which also means it is now available as a print to be purchased at my web site: BCArtFarm.com

I painted this painting back in 1992. The zinnias seem to be exploding out of the vase and are reminiscent of fireworks, like Jesus exploding out of the tomb on Easter morning. The vase depicts Jonah being spit out by the large fish, an old testament type of the resurrection. The three houses with three moons are for the three days Jesus was in the tomb and the strange topiary with the man holding a basket of eggs is reflecting the natural images of fertility and life that are also associated with Easter. The symbols of the Eucharist are also images of life, the basic food we need to survive. I have no idea why I put an airplane up in the corner.

This painting is in a private collection. I borrowed it back to include in an exhibit that was at the Dadian Gallery in Washington D.C. Of all the paintings that I shipped to D.C. this one that was borrowed got damaged. It tipped over and fell against a corner while they were hanging the show. Thankfully this painting is on a panel other wise there would have been a big rip in the canvas. Upon its return I managed to patch the indention and repainted the area. I don't think you could tell where it was damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment