Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vacation

Port A last year

I am on vacation for a week. Hooray!


On Thursday we are heading to Port Aransas for our annual trip to the beach. It is always so relaxing. Sleep, read, walk on the beach, swim in the ocean, be reminded how small we are and how big the ocean and the universe is, make a sandcastle and eat lots of sea food. Great.


Holman Hunt's Light of the World

Before we go to the beach I hope to spend some time in the studio finishing up a commission and hopefully starting a new painting. I got an idea from Paul Nielson's blog, The Aesthetic Elevator. He was using Warner Sallman's painting Christ at the Heart's Door as an example of a painting with a bad concept. I disagreed. I think it is a bad painting because it was poorly executed not because it was a bad idea. Sallman actually ripped off the idea from Holman Hunt. His painting The Light of the World is a better painting, IMO, but still not a great painting. Will my painting be any better? I guess you'll have to wait and see but it would be interesting to get some feed back when I'm done to compare all three paintings.


Warner Sallman's Christ at the Heart's Door

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Holman Hunt's version! I always have. But Sallman's painting is indeed poorly executed. Not that I could have done any better. I dunno... maybe I should try it. :P

    ReplyDelete